2016 Artist Release Picks
bt Music News #5
Musicians from Kentucky and the Appalachian region take their music seriously. I know in my daily conversations “what have you been listening to lately?” always comes up. So with 2016 about over and new music coming in 2017 we decided to ask some of our artist friends their opinion. So Here’s some of our favorite artists sharing their favorite album releases from a very noteworthy 2016.
In no particular order here is our list
- Morgan White – Country Music Artist from West Virginia favorite 2016 release is — Keith Urban “Ripcord”
- Nicholas Jamerson – Floyd Co. Native Singer Songwriter & half of Sundy Best picks — The Wooks “Little Circles”
- Brandon Coleman – Jazz Musician, Composer & Touring Musician from Pike County chooses — Saxophonist Ben Wendel’s release –“What We Bring”
- Robert Daniels – Audio Engineer for the Mountain Arts Center & local musician pinned it down to — Margo Price “Midwest Farmer’s Daughter”. Margo is part of the Country Music Revival ala Stapleton & Simpson
- Russ Hall – Vocalist for one of the areas busiest Rock Bands, Sons Of FM decided on Jackson KY artist — Sturgill Simpson “A Sailor’s Guide to Earth”
- Kory Caudill – Prestonsburg Native with his own stellar release this year & Keyboardist for Justin Moore says Bruno Mars “24K Magic” is his number one choice.
- Jason Justice – Mountain Music Exchange Guitar Guru & part of acoustic duo The Shanghi Shysters chooses — Lake Street Dive “Side Pony”
- Scott Cable – Guitarist for the hardest working band in Pike County, Exit 23 picks — Blackberry Smoke “Like An Arrow”
- Greg Napier – Booking Agent, Rock & Roll DJ & champion of indie music narrowed it down to — The Rolling Stones “Blue and Lonesome”
- John Clay – Louisville resident & Singer, Songwriter is going off the beaten path with his pick — Joey Kneiser-The Wildness
- Tim Browning – Front man for Tim Browning & The Widowmakers picks the twenty-fifth and final studio album by — David Bowie “Blackstar”
- Greg Martin – Guitarist and one of the founding members of The Kentucky Headhunters went retro with his 2016 release — The Beach Boys “Pet Sounds”: 50th Anniversary’ Released in 1966, ‘Pet Sounds’ was a huge influence on The Beatles, Cream and the entire pop music community. The 2016 reissue has been re-released on 180 gram vinyl, remastered and remixed in true stereo.
- Jason Goble – Country Music Road To Fame Winner and Floyd County Native says his pick is — Chris Stapleton “Traveller”
- J.D. Hall – Drummer for Pike County Metal Band Downtrend chooses — Metallica’s “Hard Wired To Self Destruct”
- Roger Coleman II – Guitarist for Justin Moore & Pike County Native picks Rock Guitar legend — Jeff Beck “Loud Hailer”
- Jacob Ratliff – Drummer extraordinaire, Pike County native & known in some circles as simply Bear Prince, Jacob is a member of the Christian Rock band Shiloh. Shiloh is another Kentucky band touring across the U.S. with 2017 tours in the works. — Empire of The Sun “Two Vines” It features contributions from Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham, Wendy Melvoin (from Prince’s band the Revolution), and pianist Henry Hey and bassist Tim Lefebvre, both members of David Bowie’s Blackstar band.
Thanks for checking out our list! I hope not only did you learn about some of our great regional artists but you’ve found a new favorite band. New music is my passion and finding it daily is my challenge. Hope you had an awesome 2016. See ya next year!